Thursday, February 11, 2010

Banana Nut Muffins


When I have "free time" on my hands, I usually get the itch to bake. Since I was snowed in this week after two back-to-back snowstorms, I had plenty of free time on my hands to crank out some goodies. I ended up only making banana nut muffins and brownies, although I would have made some cookies had I not run out of butter.

These banana nut muffins are a great easy way to use up old bananas. Since we have those around the house on a regular basis, it is not uncommon that sometimes they don't all get eaten. Instead of throwing them away, I make muffins. My husband prefers the muffins over banana bread because it is so much easier to grab these on the go, and they are quite close to bite size! The real recipe calls for macademia nuts, which I imagine would be amazing, but since I usually don't have those stocked in my pantry, I usually substitute walnuts which works great. Give them a try sometime!


Banana Nut Muffins
adapted from Bon Appetit

1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup milk
1 large egg
1 cup unsalted macadamia nuts, toasted, chopped [or walnuts]

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease twelve muffin cups or line with muffin papers. Sift first 4 ingredients into large bowl. Combine bananas, both sugars, butter, milk and egg in medium bowl. Mix into dry ingredients. Fold in half of nuts. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle tops of muffins with remaining macadamia nuts. Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer muffins to rack and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment